Thatcham Town Ladies 0 Wargrave Ladies Reserves 7

On a wet, cold wintry day, Wargrave Ladies Reserves travelled away to meet Thatcham Ladies in the League on a muddy, damp pitch under grey skies. 
Wargrave didn’t start well, giving the ball away often, however, they were the stronger team and kept the ball predominantly in Thatcham’s half, defending any cleared balls and comfortably regaining possession. After fifteen minutes of football ping-pong, Wargrave finally settled down and started pressing well, winning the tackles, passing, crossing and shooting often. The end product wasn’t good enough to register goals though Katie did hit the bar, Juliet headed over the bar from a corner and Vicky, one-on-one with the keeper, forced a diving save. Then in the nineteenth minute, Phoebe sent a pass which went through the whole Thatcham mid-field and Juliet running onto it, drove into the box and slotted the ball neatly past the keeper to score Wargrave’s first goal.
Wargrave then won a number of corners which Katie sent across time after time onto the penalty spot and from which Wargrave shot just wide twice. Three minutes before halftime, Katie sent in yet another corner which this time Vanessa was first to and stabbed it into the goal from close range.
HALF TIME – So while Wargrave had dominated possession and created a number of chances, they had missed many and it was only two-nil at the break.
Wargrave started the second half with a new vigour. Straight from the kick-off, Claudia received the ball on the left, moved past two defenders and passed to Juliet who drove up the left wing, into the box and hit the ball low beside the post into the net.
Two minutes after Thatcham’s restart, Phoebe was first to a defender’s clearance and sent a low, powerful through ball which dissected the whole Thatcham team and landed at Juliet’s feet just outside the box. She turned shot but the ball flew just wide. Thatcham then had a ten minute period where they pressed well and disrupted most of Wargrave’s attacks. It took another great forward run by Juliet to finally get through, dribbling past the Thatcham defence then crossing for Vicky running into the box, to meet the ball and register her first goal for the Reserves.
A few minutes later Hannah won the ball at the back, drove into the Thatcham half and passed to Sarah on the right who flew up the wing, cut inside the left back and sent in a low cross which Juliet met to side foot into the net to register her hat-trick.
Two minutes later, Wargrave won another corner which Katie sent to the far post. A defender cleared it out of the box but Vicky met the clearance with a hard, low shot which rifled into the net for her brace.
From yet another corner, four minutes later, Juliet was first to the ball, controlled it, calmly went around a defender and popped the ball into the net past the keeper.
Just before fulltime, Hannah passed the ball forward to Lucy who was playing her first match as striker. She controlled it well on the edge of the Thatcham box, turned and shot towards the top corner forcing a good save by the keeper.
A game which was dominated by Wargrave but after a messy first half, they settled down to take their time and pass the ball, delivering a much better performance in the second half and a comfortable win.
Player of the match went to Juliet who was the stand out player, not only scoring four very good goals and setting up another but being everywhere, directing play, closing down, tackling, dominating the left wing and making many good crosses.